About The Moat Theatre
The building that is now the Moat Theatre began its life as the first post Penal Days Church in Naas and derives its name from an ancient Motte (Moat) – a reputed meeting site of the Kings of Leinster nearby.
The theatre is owned by ‘The Moat Club’, which was formed in 1954 with the intention of providing the Naas area with suitable facilities to be used for dramatic theatre and table tennis.
In 1960 the Moat Club purchased the recently vacated Christian Brothers school and converted the upper rooms into a hall for table tennis. The lower rooms were converted into a 125-seat theatre in 1963, and called The Moat Theatre.
The Moat Theatre development secured generous funding from the Department of Arts, Sports and Tourism and Naas Town Council and the historic building has undergone extensive renovation with our new facility officially opened its doors on the 11th April 2003.
The flexibility of design of the spaces inside allows for multiple use of the various spaces in the building. It includes a 200 seater auditorium and stage with retractable seating and a fly tower, two rehearsal rooms, male and female dressing rooms and a foyer/coffee shop and bar area. This state-of-the-art performance space hosts a varied and lively programme, featuring the Moat Club’s own drama productions, visiting theatre groups, comedy, singer-songwriters, dance and art exhibitions. Café on site.
The theatre plays host to local, national and international stage productions, live music and comedy, children’s theatre, art exhibitions, classes and workshops.